Wednesday 19 March 2014

THIS DIFFICULT TIME WILL PASS WON'T IT?

'Life is a roller coast and ya just gotta ride it' the words from a well known song by Ronan Keating. Poignant  and significant for me or anyone else who is in the throws of one of life's many hurdles right now. How do we get through these times that seem so distressing and painful? When we are in the sinking sand do we struggle and sink further or do we just wait until something or someone happens along and helps us out? What do you say to yourself at these times?

Generally at difficult moments in my life I try to look past them, beyond the difficulty, to a time when it will be over. Does it help? Not sure, but it does get me to see into the future when the trauma will be over and I will be back on track with day to day doings. If a hurdles takes weeks to climb then  that coping mechanism doesn't always work, I just have to find various ways to manage. Some people can cut off  emotionally, sadly for me that isn't easy. I envy those with the ability to disassociate from distress however my levels of anxiety stay in the digestive system. That constant butterfly churning   that stays in  awareness, never letting up until the worst is over.
It is like walking on shifting sand, worried about each step taken towards the finishing line.

Does worry and stress really take it's toll on us? There are differing views.
Stress is the reaction to any change that requires upheaval or adjustment in life. It is the body's reaction to change, mental, physical and emotional. It is an everyday occurrence but sometimes it is bigger than normal and requires us to make life changing decisions.
Stress is a normal part of life in daily moderation. Many things go on around us and many things we do to ourselves, like making huge changes in circumstances, maybe biting off more than we thought we could chew. Sometimes we are just confronted with outside forces we have no control over .

Somatisation is a when we experience a physical illness in response to stress. When we hold the emotional consequences of what is going on in life within ourselves expressing it through  physical symptoms. Stress without relief leads to distress which in turn leads to ill health. If one already has a physical problem like a bad back, or migraines, or heart condition  then the stress manifests itself in this vulnerable part of the body. Blood pressure, chest pain, sleeplessness all can worsen an already chronic condition.

How do you deal with stress?
Even though I keep telling myself it will pass soon, I am fighting with myself not to make these necessary changes to my life, which would relieve one aspect of the trauma but then I would be left with what I started out with and later regret not making the all important life changing decision.
I meditate and although throughout I might have to keep pushing negative thoughts to one side it does help calm my internal responses to a minimum for a time,
Walking with my dog sometimes helps, and talking to someone is comforting however in the end we have to deal with what is the reality of the situation don't we.
We make choices as to what happens to us in life and so if we stay static and avoid these life issues do we avoid stress?
Sadly it doesn't seem to be like that for me, I have learned to get over many things in my life but I am realising that with age comes a higher level of anxiety. I also know I cannot sit on my hands and wait for life to happen to me I must take charge of the bits I can change whilst living with the bits I cannot.

No comments:

Post a Comment